Google Analytics includes new feature: Calculated Metrics
You can now personalize your reporting with a new tool called calculated metrics added by Google Analytics. This announcement was made in the November 2015 product update email newsletter. This is what the email said:
“We are excited to announce the addition of the highly anticipated Calculated Metrics in Google Analytics! Calculated Metrics are user-defined metrics that are computed from existing metrics. This can help drive more relevant analyses and enables greater action-ability without leaving the product.”
Calculated Metrics provide you with the option to personalize your reporting by combining two existing metrics together to provide insights relevant to your business. This feature makes Google Analytics all more amazing by letting the users create new metrics and reports based on their existing set of traditional metrics. You can have a total of 5 calculated metrics per view.
How to create a calculated metric?
(1) Select the Admin tab
(2) Navigate to the appropriate view
(3) Click on Calculated Metrics
(4) Click on new Calculated Metric
How is it useful for a business/marketer?
- Time-Saver: Previously as a marketer you had to export data into an excel sheet and do your calculations. Now, using calculated metrics you can create your metrics and perform calculations directly in the interface and save your time!
- Greater flexibility: It increases the flexibility, since you can get insights on questions that matter the most to you.
This feature is currently available only for properties using Universal Analytics and is currently using Beta. It can be accessed on Google Mobile Analytics as well, if you have the Google Analytics mobile app.
For more detailed information, you can have a look at: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6121409?hl=en